Friday, January 13, 2012

My Japanese Ancestry

At the December Japan American Society of Minnesota (JASM) Bonenkai, I spoke with a JASM member named Gloria Kumagai who inspired me to research my Japanese ancestry. And on Christmas Eve, I spoke with my great grandfather to gain a more detailed understanding of my Japanese great grandmother's history. She was born on November 28, 1925 in Yokohama, Japan. Her father owned a bike business. My great grandparents were married on December 7th, 1951 (a decade to the day after Pearl Harbor). She followed the Shinto religion and really enjoyed sewing. My great-great grandmother's name was Hamaji, but my great grandfather called her "mochi tomodachi" or "little rice ball friend" :)
   He had a stockpile of photos that my Grandma Jo had brought from Japan, as well as many that were taken in the United States. It was a wonderful experience, collecting these memories and oral history that I can share with my descendants.
   My grandmother, Manami (McAllen) Holmes was born in Yokohama, Japan in 1947. She was raised there until she was 5 years old, and in 1952 they immigrated to the United States. The photographs from Japan were beautiful and very telling of what life was like in Japan at that time. I have included some of my favorites in the next post. Grandpa Bob allowed me to take the photos with me to scan and make copies to share with my family. I was also able to mount the photos for him to hang on his wall, so he can look at them as often as he wishes to. 
  I was able to get the address of my great uncle in the Hodogaya neighborhood of Yokohama, and his name: Kazuo Tago. I found out that I had two great aunts living in the U.S., one whom has passed away and other, Shi-chan, who may still live in Rhode Island. If I am accepted to JET, Grandpa Bob will send a letter to Japan, and hopefully I will be able to connect with some of my relatives!
  Also, Grandpa Bob allowed me to read a story that he wrote about meeting Grandma Jo, and here is an excerpt: 
  We went to the Grand Dance Hall, it was housed in what was a large bank building, that went out of business.  The dance hall room had high vaulted ceilings, with office like rooms along the sides of this rather large room.  We entered and took a table, and began to enjoy the most tasty of beers I‘ve ever experienced.  The ladies were well dressed in long gowns, they were neat in appearance, and most were good looking too.
  The Japanese band’s music was very good and they played mostly Glenn Miller’s arrangements.  If you closed your eyes you would swear you were back home listening to the real thing.  I didn’t know how to dance very well so I didn’t engage a hostess to be with me at our table.  George and Orval both got girls as soon they were in, and danced with them.
We had to buy dance tickets, as that was the way the girls made money.  George said, “Hey Bob at least ask a girl to come and sit by you!”, about that same moment I spotted an oriental jewel, she was about 50 feet away from our table, but she glowed brightly and truly excited me.  I jumped to my feet and headed out across the dance floor toward this jewel, and over my shoulder I said “Anything you guys say.”  Before I could reach her some ‘Fish eyed’ GI, (His eyes sort of bulged out, thus the fish eyed GI), was in front of her and pulling her arm to dance with him.  I soon reached them and said “I got more tickets, now lets dance!”, like it was all arranged some time back.  Her response to me was “Yes, I would NOW like to dance with you.”, she was playing into the game I had started.   I didn’t need to hear the band’s music, her voice was like music to my ear and in good English.  As we headed out on the floor, I said  to “fish eye“ she will be busy the rest of the night, you better go find someone else.”


1 comment:

  1. Shi chan (Shizuko) was my mother. She has passed away. Manami is my cousin. I was born in Hodogaya in the family home and lived there for 10 years until we returned to USA. My dad was in the US Army in Korea at the time. Contact me if you want to know more. mnorbury@comcast.net.

    ReplyDelete