Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Japanecdotes (your daily portmanteau)

The sad thing about having a new idea, say, an invention or a word or a story or idea for art, is that when you Google it, it almost certainly already exists. Isn’t that a disappointing feeling? We long for a sense of discovery and individuality, and it’s almost impossible to find.

Anyway, this post is dedicated to the inspiring and quirky individuals of my town and Japan as a whole. To that one strange and wonderful thing that happens or that someone says that turns your world upside down or makes your day a million times better. The small gestures, transcendent utterances, and lovely coincidences. The hundred crows cawing ominously from a tree on my walk home. When they fly off suddenly, moving in unison. When I can’t help but stare in wonder. When my boss walks into the office after a meeting somewhere and pulls two Clementine oranges out of his pockets, one for my supervisor and one for me, the only two ladies in our department. When I return to the office and I find this gift on my desk: (sea urchin):

 
A new country and culture allows a person many novel experiences and discoveries. The things that happen to me that seem so special are often those things that break through the usual and the expected. “Rebekah, This is sea urchin.” It’s never expected that the elementary teachers know any English, but yesterday, one young woman walked right up to me, looked me in the eye, and communicated in English so confidently and genuinely. She didn’t look nervous, look away, or stumble over her words. That’s how you communicate in English, man. Boldly.

I used to think that the reason I love teaching is because children are spunky and every day they will make you laugh at something silly or make you really think by asking a poignant question. The truth is, this is why I like life, and people. One of my new year’s resolutions is to open myself up more to others; to be my true self. Most adults won’t ask questions out of ignorance and naivety that fill you with wonder. They pretend they have all the answers. The most wonderful moments are when anyone, child or adult, is present and real and experiencing the world without fear and with joy.

So here are some anecdotes from yesterday. I can imagine this post like an episode of “This American Life.” "Each week, I choose a theme, and put together different kinds of stories on that theme.” Popping from person to person, and in the end asking a big question or leading readers to a conclusion about humanity. 

Yesterday night, a member of the English Circle dropped by my apartment at 9pm with a baguette and a loaf of bread. He’s a toothless old man whose eyesight is failing; in class he must use one, sometimes two magnifying glasses to see any handouts. He is well traveled, and he speaks eloquently in English about his visits to France and the cuisine. His passion for classical music is contagious. A month or two ago he gave us a giant sack of potatoes. 

Yesterday, a preschool boy looked up at me during our pasta necklace craft, and just said, “Robekah.” My name’s Rebekah, and even the other kids laughed at the funny pronunciation. I told him he can call me Bekah. He said, “Bekah-sensei.” I smiled.

Yesterday, during an elementary class food lesson, I brought a box with the front cut off and two hand holes on the sides. I would choose a volunteer who would close their eyes while I placed a food item in the box. Then, they inserted their hands into the holes and while the class watched them feel and think about the item, they guessed the food in English. After the first two volunteers, I noticed that only boys were volunteering. I remembered myself in elementary school, only volunteering after the risks were fully calculated and with the most hesitation. I tried to get a girl to volunteer, but none would. Later, I came back to the girls, and called on the most spirited girl. She was hesitant, but she came up with such courage and guessed the food item in English with the most confidence you could imagine. I was proud of her.

At the Shinnenkai, New Year Celebration Enkai (Japanese party), we had a tournament. In teams of two (my supervisor and I were a team), you wore a giant afro wig, clipped a pedometer to your waistband, and tried to get the most steps counted without moving your legs. Hilarity ensued. Maybe I can’t speak Japanese, but making a fool of yourself is universal communication. 


These are just a few examples of the tens of things that happen weekly that make me pause. When I lay down to sleep, and when I’m not worrying about tomorrow, the events of the day flutter through my mind. Some say that the Japanese people are guarded and emotionally distant.  While it’s difficult for me to make universal claims about a people, I guess there are certain aspects that seem to define a nationality. What are Americans like? You might say, “Bold, independent, and forthright.” Of course, this isn’t always the case.

The point is, I would never say that the Japanese people as a general rule are emotionally distant. As an outsider in my town and in this country, I have experienced so many acts of kindness and thoughtfulness, of self-expression despite language barriers, of closeness and openness, and just plan silliness. I couldn’t think of a better place to follow through with my new year’s resolution; to become a more open and genuine person; than in Yakumo, Japan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment