Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Top 5 Embarrassing and Hilarious Blunders in Japan (So Far)

International travel has taught me how to be apologetically foolish and gracefully embarrassed. Heck, I think that's a great characterization of foreigners in Japan, despite their best efforts to appear skillful within Japanese culture. While many of the things I have done to make a fool out of myself are the result of lacking Japanese language proficiency, some are the result of intercultural misunderstandings. Here are my (and my husband's) top 5 blunders in Japan:


5. "Douzo"

Most of the language problems we've had I must credit to my husband. His Japanese is better than mine, and he's more willing to try speaking, whereas I will usually smile cutely and gesture my way through a conversation, using as little language as possible. Being willing to make mistakes is a great characteristic of a language learner which leads to many breakthroughs in language. However, it also leads to many strange miscommunications. My husband visited the town gym on one of his first days in town. The manager at the town gym was trying to show my husband the facilities, as he had given me a tour a couple weeks before.

He opened the door to the pool building for my husband, saying, “Douzo!” My husband, not understanding, replied, "Douzo!" and walked away. Later, he discovered that "Douzo" in that context means, "Please, after you," and the manager was trying to get the door for him not say goodbye. This is a really common mistake when learning a language: the correct response isn't always repeating what someone says. Of course, "Good morning!" can be replied to with a "Good morning!" but I have experienced saying "How are you?" to teenagers and having them reply, "How are you?"



4. “My tomorrow hurts.”

If face to face communication is difficult for us in Japanese, let me tell you, talking on the phone is almost impossible. My husband has been playing on the town basketball team, and he must sometimes communicate with the organizer by phone. A few months ago, my husband received a phone call from that man, asking if he was coming to basketball that night (later, we found out that he had some gifts to give us). My husband replied, "Watashi no ashita ga itai desu." My tomorrow hurts. He was trying to say that his leg (ashi) hurt. The organizer laughed it off and understood that my husband wouldn't be at basketball. But I know that's the last time my husband will mistake the word for tomorrow for the word for leg.



3. The whiskey dilemma

I debated for months about what to give my BOE as an omiyage gift from America. After some research and recommendations, I decided on a bottle of whiskey and some sweets. Instead of choosing some top shelf whiskey (which it turns out you can find in Japan anyway), I chose a bottle made in Minnesota. Needless to say, Minnesota isn't known for their whiskey, and I don't know much about it in the first place. And Japanese men know A LOT about whiskey. At my welcome party, they brought the bottle and made a big deal out of tasting it and trying to read the English label. They discovered that the bottle I gave them turned out to be blended, not 100% whiskey. Furthermore, they brought their own bottles of sake for me to try, packaged in boxes and probably valued much higher. My advice is either not to give alcohol, or if you do, make it something damn good.



2. Forgetting to take off my shoes

When walking into my apartment for the first time, with my supervisor and the organizer of the English Circle right behind me, I made a rookie mistake. I stepped right up onto the wood floor with my summer sandals on. My supervisor went, "Ah!" and I turned around immediately and realized my faux pas. It was bound to happen eventually.



1. Getting pulled over by the police in front of my junior high school

This situation takes the cake on embarrassing moments for me. I left for work on what seemed like a normal Tuesday morning. Little did I know that the 5 minute drive would result in a terrifying and embarrassing experience. But let me set some back story here.

First of all, police cars in Japan always have their lights on. I always wondered how I would know when I was getting pulled over. The first hint is that you did something really wrong, because the cops here aren't just looking for any small reason to pull you over like in America. You have to be doing something really dangerous or REALLY speeding. They have like a megaphone thing they speak out of. Secondly, cars in Japan pull over for no reason every time I am driving. Parking lots are rare, and talking on the phone while driving is illegal, so for many reasons people just throw on their flashers and stop. Thirdly, the roads are so icy. While there are snow plows and occasionally sand is put down as a de-icer, most roads are layers and layers of ice. 

So now that the scene has been set...here is what happened. The car in front of me came to a sudden stop and turned on their flashers. I started to go around the car in fear of not being able to stop in time because of the icy roads, and then behind me I see an ambulance! I pull over quickly, and then I see a police car heading the other direction. I turn onto the street that goes to my junior high school and 15 seconds later the police car pulls around the corner. I come to this 5-way intersection and realize that I need to pull over, but there is a man pulling his child in a sled through the middle of it. So I wait, go through the intersection, and stop just outside my junior high school.

I didn't receive a ticket, only a warning ("Very dangerous! Be careful!"), but some of my students walked by and I knew that word would spread. The next day, the English teacher told me her students had been asking about it, and so I told her the story. It ended up being just fine.

---

I am learning so much in Japan. No matter how much I want to be, it's impossible to be in control. I tried to learn everything and prepare so much before arrival, but been being adaptable and forgiving of myself for the inevitable mistakes has proved the most useful. 



Last weekend we took our trip to Niseko and the road conditions were terrible.  Visibility was limited. It was dark. Strong winds blew snow drifts onto the roads and the snow plows had totally neglected some roads. When nearing our hotel, following my GPS, we took a left up a hill that would bring us to our destination. However, it hadn't been plowed, my husband put the pedal to the medal to get through the deep snow, but we ended up beaching our car. The level of the snow reached the underside of our car. I was freaking out. We were on a dark hill with no one around and my cell phone wasn't getting reception. What did we do? We ended up just pushing the car back down the hill and going back to the main road.



Messing up may be the rule, but matter how deep in the snow or muck you get, or how big of a fool you make of yourself, life goes on. You can live your life being careful, controlled, and risk-averse; troubled by the repercussions of chance. But I'm learning that life is one big adventure, and a better one if you're not playing it safe all the time. So do some fish tails on that icy road. Swim into the ocean even though there might be a shark. Eat a raw egg.  Take this great advice, "Do one thing every day that scares you," (like talking on the phone in Japanese). Follow your dreams to the end of the world, then spread your arms and jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment