Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Goals for Japan

I have started my list of goals for Japan. I tried to make them as SMART as possible (specific, measureable, attainable, realistic, and time-bound).

  • By August, write a 1,000 word essay about my expectations for Japan.  Revisit and reflect upon these expectations every two months.
  • By August, write a 1,000 word essay about who I am before going to Japan to maintain my identity and not lose myself in Japanese culture.
  • Spend 30 minutes per day actively studying Japanese.
  • Work out (run, lift weights, do yoga, etc.) at least 3 times a week.
  • Weekly, update blog with goal progress , continued reflections and inspiring observations, both about teaching and life in Japan.
  • Each week, take 15 photos minimum and upload to Tumbler/blog.
  • Weekly, observe a non-English class during down time.
  • Try something new every week and use these experiences to learn more about Japanese culture.
  • Discover when registration is for Japanese classes in Hakodate, register, and attend regularly.
  • When I am invited to or offered an opportunity, never turn it down. Remember how much Yakumo has done and is continually doing for me, and work hard in exchange.  Continually seek out ways to positively and tangibly impact my community.
  • Monthly, meet with teachers to plan lessons, discuss how things are going and set some goals for future lessons in order to continually improve as an educator.
  • In order to pay off my student loans and have money for transition back to life in the U.S., save a minimum of 80,000 yen each month. With the rest, do not be too frugal and enjoy many travel adventures and munching delicious Japanese food!
  • Each month, travel to at least one new place, whether that be a well-planned trip to a city on Honshu or a spontaneous road trip in Hokkaido.
  • Participate in at least one community event or festival.
  • Get involved in at least one student club or group.
  • By October, have contributed 3 activities to lesson plans and have taught 3 lessons on my own.
  • By October, have started a pen pal exchange between one school in Japan and the junior high school I worked at in St. Paul, MN.
  • By December, have joined a community group that will allow me to learn more about Japanese culture while learning a new skill. Perhaps a cooking group.
  • By February, decide whether to recontract or take the GRE online for a Masters in Education at Hamline (TEFL Certification would count towards required credits.)
  • By July, have travelled to 2 of the following places: Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo, Nara, Nikko, Hiroshima, Mt. Fuji.
  • One month prior to departure, prepare for reverse culture shock: "Nobody cares about your travels." Utilize career counseling and be patient with transition time.
  • Before departure, write a 1,000 word essay reflecting on how JET has impacted me personally, and how it will affect my future personal and professional goals.
  • Make one true friend in Japan before I leave, and continually keep in touch with them.
  • Prepare a presentation to give in my community and continue international exchange.

No comments:

Post a Comment