Saturday, July 21, 2012

Intentional Travel to Japan - A Lesson Plan





If I could use one word to describe my experience with JET so far, it would be INTENTION. From the application, to the planning, to writing this blog post, I have been intentional - mentally determined - to be accepted and make the best out of my time teaching English in Japan. While I have never traveled internationally, on every domestic trip, I have returned home with new understandings of myself and the world. By taking full advantage of my opportunities, by examining my goals, expectations, and intentions, I hope that my trip to Japan will be exceptional. Below is an outline of my intentional travel plan in the format of a lesson plan.

Objectives - I will be able to (IWBAT) travel to Japan, learn more about myself and the world, impact my community in a positive and tangible way, gain new friends and new skills, and make the transition home by continuing what I have done in Japan in some way.
Timing - Minimum 1 year (July 2012 to July 2013)
Materials - Items that I  forget but then buy in Japan or (over)pack!
Preparation - See "Intentional Travel to Japan - A Lesson Plan"
Anticipated Challenges - Language barrier, cultural missteps, culture shock, unrealistic expectations, demotivation of intentionality, tight finances, the hikikomori effect (just kiddin'), driving into the ditch on icy, blizzardy, Hokkaido roads.
Pre-Journey-
  • Examine preconceived notions.
  • Reach out to contacts for insight and advice in order to develop realistic and informed expectations.
  • Create a ranked list of the places I want to travel in Japan and begin planning dates for travel, including volunteering.
  • Set specific, measureable, attainable, realistic, and time-bound goals.
Journey-
  • Frequently update blog with goal progress and continued reflections and inspiring observations, both about teaching and life in Japan.
  • Never say "no" to an offer or an opportunity.
  • Despite my reticence to take photos and videos at the expense of experiencing the moment, do it, in order to share my experiences with others and remember them.
  • Decide in February whether to recontract or take the GRE online for a Masters in Education at Hamline (TEFL Certification would count towards required credits.)
Post-Journey -
  • Blog about how my experience in Japan will continue to influence my life.
  • Prepare for reverse culture shock: "Nobody cares about your travels." Utilize career counseling and be patient with transition time.
  • Continue international exchange in my community. 


No comments:

Post a Comment