Sunday, August 5, 2012

A Saturday Work Outing

My third day in Yakumo, my supervisor invited me to go on the public sector union's trip to Mt. Komagetage in Mori, Hokkaido. This makes it sound pretty exciting:

Hokkaido-Komagatake, or Komagatake (Hokkaido), Volcano is located 30 km north of Hakodate City with population of 320,000. This is an andesite stratovolcano (1,133 m high) whose summit has a 2 km-wide horseshoe-shaped caldera open to the E, resulted from large collapse 30-40 ka. Large-scale pumice-flow eruptions had occurred several times from craters within the caldera, including historical 3 major eruptions; 1640, 1856, and 1929.


While the hike wasn't grueling, there were many patches of loose gravel on steep inclines. Some people brought their children, and while there was much sliding and hand-holding, everyone made the ascent and descent okay. As we approached the top, the cloud layer soaked us!




Afterwards, we took the bus to a hotel where we enjoyed as much yakiniku (grilled meat) as we could eat (and as much Sapporo as we could drink):


After a long climb, delicious food and drinks, and some insect catching by my supervisor's son, we headed over to the onsen. There are lots of rules in Japan, and I didn't want to break any of them during my first onsen experience, so I followed the lead of my supervisor. Also, some of the little girls that hiked with us ended up looking out for me. They are much better at nonverbal communication than adults, and they help me learn Japanese by reading signs to me and helping me say the right things. :)

Sorry I didn't take any pictures, but when entering the onsen you take off your shoes and are in a locker room with lots of baskets where you put your clothes. You are only allowed to bring a small towel in with you. First, you sit down and wash your hair and body very thoroughly at the shower area, and then proceed to the 5-6 hot tub things of varying size and jets. You aren't supposed to bring your towel in the water either! It was so relaxing!

No comments:

Post a Comment