Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Things I am Excited About

Today I drove on the left side of the road, while sitting on the left side of the car, and it was super weird but empowering to know that my brain could transfer information and help me overcome my habit of doing everything on the right. My kacho, section chief of the Board of Education and the funniest Japanese man, let me drive him around, directing me in his best English and gestures, "left, turn right stop, careful." Luckily, I did not hit anything or anyone, and somehow 90 degree backed up into this tiny garage where the BOE car is kept. I will have to do that every day. Yikes.

Before I get to the things I am excited about, here are some photos from last nights' beer party, which turned out to be a welcome party for me too! We played BINGO, but Japanese rules are weird. First, they don't say, "B-11" ... the just say, "11." When you are one away from winning, you stand up and everyone starts saying "richi" - Japanese pronunciation of the word "reach" which is supposedly a term in the game Go when a player is one move away from winning. Like almost checkmate I guess. Then, when someone wins, they don't check to make sure you have a "good BINGO" - you just win. And what blew my mind was that once there is one winner, you don't "clear your cards" - you just keep going until you run out of prizes so everyone wins basically. It was sweet. Last night the prizes were all fish. I was sent home with a box of cod roe, which are very salty and taste like beef jerky.



Tomorrow I am taking my first Japanese train - the JR Hakodate Line - to Mori for a festival. I can't wait! Then on Friday early early morning (3:45AM), Japan's womens soccer olympic team takes on the ol' US of A! I don't mind getting up in the middle of the night. I am excited to see their match-up after their surprising stalemate during the world cup.

After a weekend of much needed relaxation, Tom will then arrive, I will purchase my Iphone 4S, and the weekend after I will be traveling to Sapporo for the HAJET Orientation. I will be taking the train, staying at the Gracery Hotel, and going out for a couple of meals. Thanks to the BOE for funding this and future business trips!

When I return from training, I will finally be working in schools as students will be back from summer vacation. After about a month, the Hokkaido Southwest Welcome Party will take place at Lake Onuma and I will likely take the train there too.


And I haven't even started scheduling personal travels around Japan! I have to figure out some way to get to the mainland...

No comments:

Post a Comment